Thursday, October 30, 2008

Free Your Mind: Step #1

The Hedonistic Pleasureseeker

“Everybody’s got values . . . The thing that frightens me is the way that an eroding public school system . . . and television on all over the place is leading to a steady dumbing down of the American public and a corrosion of basic critical thinking in the population.”

— Jamie Raskin, American University law professor, November 2004 on the Democracy Now! radio program

The Establishment will try to co-opt “The Revolution” (TM) so for God’s sake don’t let the mainstream media pundits lead it for you, or we’re toast! Step 1 of freeing your mind is turning off the TV and supporting REAL investigative journalism with your money and your precious attention.

(Natalie Dee)

Television pundits are extremely adept at using informal logic and logical fallacies to produce arguments which sound good, but FAIL the logic test. Informal logic, like conventional wisdom, is constructing an argument with language and inference without actually using any real information. It is basically an “argument only” with no analysis. Pundits are also adept at making banal and meaningless tabloid quality crap sound ZOMG911BBQ!!!!11! BREAKING!

“I wasn’t worried about freedom. I was worried about people being turned into morons by TV.”

– Ray Bradbury in 2001 talking about his book Fahrenheit 451

I finally cracked while watching CNN today: I called Comcast canceled my cable. All of it, even basic reception! I’d finally HAD it with the diversions, omissions and outright lies. I’d had it with watching “debates” between cartoonish strawfolk or worse, point-counterpoint pseudo arguments between people who are on the same side. Worst of all, however, is all that has remained UNSPOKEN by the mainstream media during our descent into Hell. I’d been kicking around the “Kill Your Television” idea for awhile but was attached to the Daily Show. Then one day I thought, I’m paying $50-$60 bucks a month for . . . the Daily Show? And I say I’m trying to save money? Sweet Jeebus on a cracker!


No comments:

Post a Comment