Thursday, November 27, 2008

No Thanks to War

Zoriah_ir4_iraq_raids_baghdad_army_

Perhaps no one has captured the images of war, occupation and the aftermath better than Zoriah Miller. Go to his several sites and go through the links, see for yourself. If every American could view the images and read the dialog from Zoriah perhaps it could make a difference.

No more wars of lies. A real reason for giving thanks.

"I am a photojournalist. It is my job to be a visual story teller, showing people what other's lives and struggles are like, when they would otherwise have no way of visualizing these lives. I don't consider myself an expert in politics, warfare or the situation in Iraq. It puts me in the unique position of seeing and experiencing without pre-conceived notions or ideas. Since my job is based on truly "seeing", I am at ease with learning things along my path."


http://www.zoriah.net/photos/uncategorized/2008/06/23/zoriah_iraq_war_conflict_baghdad_us.jpg
© Zoriah/www.zoriah.com

A couple of days ago I went out on a foot patrol in Sadr City with a young a soldier and noticed the tattoo on his arm, featuring a rosary and the words “Forgive Me.” I asked him what the story behind it was.

He said, “After my first tour in Iraq, I went back home to the states and all my friends called me a murderer and killer. I guess I started thinking a lot about all the things I had done over here…you know.”


Zoriah was an embedded reporter for the marines until he published photos that the marines did not want to be seen.


UNTITLED

He reports on this in a very graphic account:

Sucicide Bombing in Anbar - Eye Witness Account - Iraq War Photographer Diary - Graphic Images

Zoriah's refusal to pull the photos from his blog resulted in his embed termination as reported here:

Zoriah: Embed Termination - Statement About My Situation in Iraq

"Please know that my intent is to show the true nature of the abominations of war in hopes that this will deter others from committing or accepting senseless acts of violence."

AfghanistanZoriah_ac5_afghanistan_children_war ©


GazaZoriah_gaza_refugee_camp_father_daughter_war_conflict_palestine_palestinian_08_12_08_FD9T8889

A father lifts up and plays with his daughter behind a makeshift mesh fence in the slum neighborhood of Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza Strip.

Zoriah_gaza_refugee_camp_mother_-child_palestine_israel_war_conflict_08_12_08_G6Y8504-Edit
A woman holds a child in Gaza City's Beach Camp, one of the world's
longest-standing refugee camps. The poverty in such areas often makes
you feel as if you have taken a step back in time.

Iraq FatigueZoriah_iraq_war_baghdad_sadr_city_8

© Zoriah/www.zoriah.com

"I want you to observe and comprehend what others live through on a daily basis -- to see what the Iraqi civilians and foreign soldiers see. I want people who follow my photography to understand that although I am able to bring images of war to the world in a form of art, what actually goes on here is horror. My message is not that war yields great photography. My message is: War yields human misery and suffering."

"If you are offended by graphic images -- instead of reading the entry and being upset by the sight of death -- please do something to stop the events that facilitate these atrocities."
Zoriah Miller

1 comment: