Thursday, December 4, 2008

“POLITICS AND THE ARTS, INTERNATIONALISM, AND ACTIVISM:

Like many of the 'older' American activists, Gary Corseri's awakening began with the Vietnam War.
AN INTERVIEW WITH GARY CORSERI BY LLOYD ROWSEY

12/3/08 Thomas Paine's Corner



The Vietnam War radicalized me. The thought of having to die for my country was hard enough - but I could accept it. The thought of having to kill for my country was totally anathema to me. I didn’t buy the argument of the falling dominoes of Southeast Asia, nor any of the tripe about “fighting them there so we wouldn’t have to fight them here.” I understood that it was an imperialist war, and we were picking up the pieces of the French Empire, trying to establish our hegemony on China’s southern border.
I did not vote for Obama, or for anyone else. I don’t want to legitimize a corrupt electoral system, and I didn’t see substantive differences between the two corporate candidates. Both are pledged to policies of maintaining the latter days of our American Empire. Both talk the language of militancy and bellicosity; i.e., maintaining our strong defense; defeating our enemies; supporting our allies, especially Israel; opposing Russian “expansionism.”

Read the entire interview: http://www.bestcyrano.org/THOMASPAINE/?p=1350#more-1350

No comments:

Post a Comment