Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Invasive If Not Controlled

wisteria - middle Tn April 28, 2009

Government in all of its known forms is pretty much like a creeping wisteria. Planted as a baby it grows...and grows...and overwhelms everything in its path.

My 'gift' of a foot tall wisteria 28 years ago soon became a 30 ft. x 15 ft. monster. Faced with a disgruntled partner who didn't like the invasive nature, I was forced to dig and chop and cut to get it to a manageable size, in a predefined area and held up by a strong support in plain sight.

Still, every year I have to go through the ritual of downsizing. The damn thing refuses to stay in place. More work, more cutting.

But you know what. Since I have gotten it under control, it's starting to bloom. It never did that before.

Our invasive government is not blooming.

It's time to cut and chop.

But the blade is dull from use and without the help from family, neighbors and friends in a multiplying effect, the invasiveness is too much to overcome.


Don't take the vaccine.


  1. Wisterias are beautiful plants. You need to prune it once a week part of the year. There is the Japanese and the Chinese Wisteria. One grow clockwise and the other anti-clockwise. Wisterias won't follow "orders". They don't like to be guided.

  2. I had a similar experience with a honeysuckle plant that was close to the house, but never bloomed.
    Hell, I never even knew it was there, until this Spring.

    Last Fall, to bring more sunlight to my raised beds, I cut down a couple of trees and the extra sunlight must of done the trick, bringing enough Sun to that plant to make it bloom.

    Amazing what shining a little sunlight on a dark spot will do.

    How do hummingbirds and butterflies like your Wisteria?

  3. The analogies of bringing sunlight and pruning are both applicable to plants and government.

    My wisteria is sort of out of sight so I don't see the hummers on it but judging by those coming to the backyard feeder, I'd say they are all over it too.

  4. I had a friend that had this little Wisteria near to his deck. It was abandoned, about one foot tall, a little stick with no leaves or flowers. The location was sunny and the terrain was very rocky. So I decided to give it a little help. I added an irrigation line and some soil. This was during the fall. So the winter come and then the spring. This little plant became a huge shrub and after a year it covers the entire arbor above the deck. It provides shade during the hot summer days and has some beautiful purple/pink flowers.