Monday, November 18, 2013

Diversion of the Day - Dave McGowan's New Laurel Canyon Book Coming Soon

Finally Dave's "Inside the LC" series is coming to book form. Since Dave has disabled many of the chapters at his site (aren't you glad you saved them all as PDFs) I guess that means he's giving us a little push to buy Weird Scenes with its new additions.

Unfortunately it won't be available for Christmas. It's due to be released April 30, 2014 (Walpurgis Night), from Headpress.

Whether you agree or disagree with McGowan on his conclusions, questions and speculations, all of his writings, to me at least, are entertaining when you need a little diversion.

Excerpt from a sample chapter at Dave's facebook.....
Gram Parsons & Emmylou Harris
Working once again with Emmylou, Gram began working on tracks for what would be his posthumously-released second solo album, Grievous Angel. But as July of 1973 rolled around, a series of tragedies befell Parsons and the people around him. In July of the previous year, Gram’s friend Brandon DeWilde – who had introduced Gram to Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, Bruce Dern and Jack Nicholson, resulting in Gram’s involvement in The Trip – had been killed in a traffic accident. A year later, on July 15, 1973, Gram’s friend and fellow musician, Clarence White, was hit by a car and killed. According to Fong-Torres, “Around the same time that Clarence White was killed, Sid Kaiser, a familiar face in the Los Angeles rock scene, a close friend of Gram’s and, not so incidentally, a source of high-quality drugs, died of a heart attack.” Just after those two deaths, “In late July 1973 … [Gram’s] house in Laurel Canyon burned down.”

Other sources, for the record, have placed that house in Topanga Canyon rather than Laurel Canyon. Whatever the case, Gram was home when the house caught fire and he was briefly hospitalized for smoke inhalation. Having lost their home and all their possessions, Gram and Gretchen “moved into Gretchen’s father’s spacious home on Mulholland Drive in Laurel Canyon.” Gram wouldn’t live in the Burrell estate long though; on September 19, 1973, Ingram Cecil Connor III died in a nondescript room at the Joshua Tree Inn. His death is usually attributed to a drug overdose, but toxicology reports suggest otherwise. Parsons’ death received minimal press coverage, partly because, as fate would have it, singer/songwriter Jim Croce went down in a blaze of glory the very next day, on September 20, 1973. But though the media had moved on, the Gram Parsons story wasn’t quite over yet.

Parsons had been a regular visitor to Joshua Tree National Park, where one of his favorite pastimes was said to be ingesting hallucinogenic drugs and then searching for UFOs. Sometimes he would take friends like Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones along with him to help with the search. In September of 1973, Gram was accompanied to Joshua Tree by his personal assistant, Michael Martin, Martin’s girlfriend, Dale McElroy, and Parson’s former high school sweetheart, Margaret Fisher. As the story goes, the group soon ran out of pot and quickly dispatched Martin back to LA to pick up a fresh supply. He was, therefore, officially not there at the time of Gram’s death, though why he hadn’t returned has never been explained, especially given that his job was, specifically, to keep an eye on Gram and monitor his drug intake.

How Gram Parsons died is anyone’s guess. There are as many versions of the event as there were witnesses to it. Actually, that’s not quite true – there are more versions than there were witnesses, because some of those witnesses have told more than one story. Officially, Parsons died of an overdose, but forensic testing revealed no morphine or barbiturates in his blood. Morphine showed up in his liver and urine, but as experts have noted, those toxicology results indicate chronic, but not recent, use. Police seem to have had little interest in getting at the truth and made no apparent effort to reconcile the various conflicting accounts. Details of the incident – such as how long Gram had been left alone, whether he was still alive when discovered, who made that discovery, etc. – were wildly inconsistent in the accounts of Fisher, McElroy, and Frank and Alan Barbary, who were the Inn’s owner and his son. Their accounts conflicted both with each other and with the girls’ accounts.

At the hospital, police spoke briefly with the two girls and then released them. Within two hours, Phil Kaufman was on the scene to pick up Fisher and McElroy. Bypassing the police and the hospital, Kaufman went directly to the Inn, which the girls had returned to, and quickly hustled them straight back to LA. Police never spoke to either of the women again, despite the conflicting accounts and the open question of what exactly it was that killed Gram.

On the autumnal equinox of 1973, Kaufman and Martin, driving a dilapidated hearse provided by McElroy, arrived at LAX to claim the body of Gram Parsons. If this story is to be believed, then nobody, including the police officer who was nearby, found it at all unusual that two drunken, disheveled men in an obviously out-of-service hearse (it had no license plates and several broken windows) had arrived without any paperwork to claim the body of a deceased celebrity. In fact, according to Kaufman’s dubious account, the cop even helped the pair load the casket into the hearse – and then looked the other way when Martin slammed the hearse into a wall on the way out of the hangar.

Kaufman and Martin then drove the body back out to Joshua Tree, doused it with gasoline and set it ablaze. Local police initially speculated that the cremation was “ritualistic,” which indeed it was, but such reports were, and continue to be, scoffed at.

On September 26, LAPD detectives, led by anchorman Larry Burrell, came knocking on Kaufman’s door with warrants to serve. Bizarrely enough, director Arthur Penn was there with a full crew shooting scenes for the film Night Moves with star Gene Hackman. When you are a friend of Charlie Manson’s, it would appear, everyone in Hollywood wants to hang out with you. While the crew continued working, Kaufman was taken in but he was back just a few hours later. In the end, he and Martin were fined $300 each plus reimbursement for the cost of the coffin.

In January 1974, four months after Parson’s death, Grievous Angel was released to critical acclaim and public indifference. Later that year, Gram’s adoptive father, Bob Parsons, died from complications of an alcohol-related illness. He had apparently been making moves aimed at gaining control of the deceased musician’s estate. By sheer coincidence, no doubt, the deaths of Gram and Bob Parsons were followed by the 1974 bankruptcy of much of the Snively family business. Around that same time, Little Avis gave birth to daughter Flora. Sixteen years later, both were killed in a boating accident in Virginia. Avis had made it all the way to age forty.

You might also want to take a look at McGowan's "The Boston Marathon Bombings: Fully Exposed."


  1. I'm very happy that Dave's "Inside The LC"has come to book form.

    One thing for sure is,thru reading"Inside the LC"myself.

    It rerevolutionized the way look at 2 stars from the LC.

    David Crosby and Glen Campbell one good and one bad.


    You got to read it to know what I mean.

    Frank Zappa and Jim Morrison I always love and treasured

  2. Parsons being from a wealthy family is likely to be bloodlines, but he was hardly a big name at that time as a musician outside of that one stint with the Byrds and opening for the Stones and still is considered a cult artist today. It's only after ex-Burritos went into the Eagles and had success and his protege Emmylou started having success in the late 1970's that Gram (Grams of what? Coke? lol) became better known. On the other hand, Morrison was huge and the son of an admiral in charge of the Gulf of Tonkin fleet !! And Hendrix was also huge and bloodline relations to the queen of England and Bill Gates

    He was also running his mouth about the Black Panthers

    Donated 100 joints to the BP party and started calling "Voodoo Child" the Black Panther national anthem.

    "Hendrix connection to manager Mike Jeffery only furthered his surveillance by the FBI. Jeffery had on numerous occasions alluded to being connected to underground organizations. He was in the process of building a recording studio in a part of New York which was primarily mob controlled. Moreover, Hendrix had publically called upon the Black Panther party to go to Washington, DC and shoot the place up."

    Hendrix was apparently a quarter Irish and a quarter Indian and half-black. His brother Leon looks almost white and doesn't even have nappy hair:

    ~Negentropic MK I

  3. Hendrix's manager was a mob-connected admitted intelligence agent like Zappa and Linda Ronstadt's manager Herb Cohen:

    "If the intelligence agencies had their reasons to keep tabs on Hendrix, they couldn't have picked a better man for the job than Hendrix's manager, Mike Jeffrey (above). Jeffrey, by his own admission an intelligence agent, was born in South London in 1933, the sole child of postal workers. He completed his education in 1949, took a job as a clerk for Mobil Oil, was drafted to the National Service two years later. Jeffrey's scores in science took him to the Educational Corps. He signed on as a professional soldier, joined the Intelligence Corps and at this point his career enters an obscure phase.

    Hendix biographers Shapiro & Glebeek report that Jeffrey often boasted of "undercover work against the Russians, of murder, mayhem and torture in foreign cities....His father says Mike rarely spoke about what he did—itself perhaps indicative of the sensitive nature of his work—but confirms that much of Mike's military career was spent in 'civvies,' that he was stationed in Egypt and that he could speak Russian.

    There was, however, another, equally intriguing side of Mike Jeffrey: He frequently hinted that he had powerful underworld connections. It was common knowledge that he had had an abiding professional relationship with Steve Weiss, the attorney for both the Hendrix Experience and the Mafia-managed Vanilla Fudge, hailing from the law firm of Seingarten, Wedeen & Weiss. On one occasion, when drummer Mitch Mitchell found himself in a fix with police over a boat he'd rented and wrecked, mobsters from the Fudge management office intervened and pried him loose."

    The "Vanilla Fudge" running Italian mob is, of course, working for the much more powerful Jewish mob and their executive division: the Jewish law firms, managers and later "talent agencies."

    "Zappa’s manager, by the way, is a shadowy character by the name of Herb Cohen, who had come out to L.A. from the Bronx with his brother Mutt just before the music and club scene began heating up. Cohen, a former U.S. Marine, had spent a few years traveling the world before his arrival on the Laurel Canyon scene. Those travels, curiously, had taken him to the Congo in 1961, at the very time that leftist Prime Minister Patrice Lumumba was being tortured and killed by our very own CIA. Not to worry though; according to one of Zappa’s biographers, Cohen wasn’t in the Congo on some kind of nefarious intelligence mission. No, he was there, believe it or not, to supply arms to Lumumba “in defiance of the CIA.” Because, you know, that is the kind of thing that globetrotting ex-Marines did in those days (as we’ll see soon enough when we take a look at another Laurel Canyon luminary)."

    Zappa composed Remington Electric Razor commercial with Linda Ronstadt on vocals

    ~Negentropic MK II

    1. Rumors are that Hendrix was being heavily pressured by the Panthers to become more radical and if true it set up his demise. Thanks for the tunes where he mentions them. I have an extensive collection of Hendrix bootlegs and those are good historical additions. As with so many, he couldn't escape the jewish handlers. Another rumor was that Jeffery was going to get fired by Jimi and Jeffery killed him before he could do that so he could steal whatever else he could.

    2. Check this out, found this today:

      A postcard Hendrix sent to his dad to let him know where he was and how he was doing right before his first record "Hey Joe" came out. The ass-whippings he got from his dad as a kid, a way of life and accepted method of discipline for many in those days, did not make him half as bitter as Jim Morrison was towards his bigshot rear-admiral dad, whom he hardly ever talked to after he graduated to lizard-king status. With the arrival of instant worldwide communication today as a trade-off for micro-managed control through spying on everybody's life, it's easy to forget how expensive long distance calls were in those days and that postcards and letters were often the only ways of keeping in touch. One of my uncles whose job required him to be a world traveler literally sent hundreds of postcards to my mom to keep in touch from every corner of the globe.

      ~Negentropic MK III

    3. I've mentioned it before here about the guys I knew who jammed with Jimi before he was famous. They all said the same thing, Jimi was shy but very nice and polite to everyone. Also blown away at how he could play even in 1962. They said they figured he would make it but never imagined to the extent he did.

  4. As much as I hate most,if not all,of the artists from there,from that era,and their influence on the youth back then, and would love for all this to be true, there's no way any of the people named would EVER admit to McGowan's writings - if they've gotten away with everything McGowan says they have,with the friends-in-high-places they've had even before they went into the music business, they'll get away with it the rest of their lives.

    If you were to seriously grill any of the artists from that era( The ones still alive ),or their offspring,or family members, do you really believe any of them would finally admit to all,or even any, of McGowan's accusations, if true?